It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 3 of 4 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gravid solifugid! please help
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:46 am 
User

Hello Bill.

I suspect the time they are aboveground is only a very small amount of their lives. Around lights they seem to be preying mostly on small flies or other soft bodied insects(small ants possibly?)...based on the bits they often have in their mouths when picked up. The termite bit is as stated on http://www.solpugids.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:23 am 
User

Hi Critterguy,

First - it's www.solpugid.com rather than solpugids.com. (My brother is the webmaster, so this is a cheap plug.)

Solpugids are surface hunters around here for about two months of the year, May and June - at least that's the time frame we see them on the porch. Once the rains start in July, solpugids become scarce. We've known them to take pretty good-sized prey (beetles). Small solpugids no doubt go after termite-sized prey, but the larger ones would probably look for more effecient sources of food.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:55 pm 
User

None of the ones I observed seemed eager to attack the big prey around the lights....but I didn't have too much time to see them.

I still suspect that(on an individual solfugid basis) that being active on the surface may be a relatively rare occurence. Limited to just after a molt feeding frenzy, finding mates, and finding a place to lay eggs. Most of their time is likely spent underground, or at least waiting in a retreat for passing prey.

Just a(possibly uneducated) thought.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:42 am 
ATS Vice President

Hi Bill-

Warren Savary is your brother! I noticed the name at the conference, but it didn't occur to me that you were related. He was a speaker at our '06 conference (he spoke on scorpions mainly).

Anyway, I've been offering the hatchlings springtails. They're not much bigger than termites themselves at this point. I've got some pictures I'll get arfound to posting eventually (not on this computer unfortunately).

Wade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:47 pm 
User

critterguy wrote:
None of the ones I observed seemed eager to attack the big prey around the lights....but I didn't have too much time to see them.

I still suspect that(on an individual solfugid basis) that being active on the surface may be a relatively rare occurence. Limited to just after a molt feeding frenzy, finding mates, and finding a place to lay eggs. Most of their time is likely spent underground, or at least waiting in a retreat for passing prey.

Just a(possibly uneducated) thought.

During the hot dry months here, we see lots of solpugids up and around the porch, windows and doors. Many of them are far too young to be finding mates or laying eggs. (And May and June would not be good times to be laying eggs here.) Part of the reason that we are seeing them in well lit areas is because that's where it's easiest for US to see. That they are also active away from the lights is supported by the fact that we find scorpions further afield (while blacklighting) eating solpugids. But the density of available prey near the lights probably increases the density of solpugids in those places. (Seeing two or three in a 10' x 10' patch of porch floor at one time isn't unusual.)

The hot dry period here starts in April and ends when the summer monsoons arrive. The first rains can come as early as late June, or may not appear until mid July - but when they start, the solpugids vanish. I don't see anything to connect their surface activity to molting times, and it does coincide heavily with climatic conditions. Even though during the summer monsoons we still have a lot of hot days with little or no rain, we don't see any activity after the beginning of the rains. Perhaps the first rains soften the ground enough for them to dig burrows more easily, or maybe their preferred prey is more abundant after the rains come. There's still a lot of field work waiting to be done on these guys.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:54 pm 
User

Yes, I observed similar to you, I saw quite a few termite sized babies near the lights.

But I doubt the same individuals are coming out every night. It is probably a relatively uncommon event for them to actually go out and hunt for food. Maybe several times per molt.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:21 pm 
User

Quote:
Yes, I observed similar to you, I saw quite a few termite sized babies near the lights.

Most of the ones we notice are larger than that (maybe because we overlook the tiniest ones?), ranging from quarter inch up to large adults.

Quote:
But I doubt the same individuals are coming out every night. It is probably a relatively uncommon event for them to actually go out and hunt for food. Maybe several times per molt.

Well, looks like a project for next summer. Because I'll be monitoring the lit areas nightly for an ongoing project with Triatoma, it won't be hard to monitor solpugids at the same time. (Triatoma dispersal matches the above ground activity period of solpugids almost exactly.) As for determining whether it's the same ones all the time - I'll have to figure out a way to mark them. Would a dot from a marking pen be a safe way to do it? Short of actually marking and monitoring, its nothing but pure guesswork as to whether it's the same ones hunting regularly or different ones each night.

The fun part will be marking them - they're fast little suckers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:48 am 
User

nontoxic acrylic paint should do the trick. A tiny blue, red, or whatever dot on the head just behind the eyes.

I marked bees for fun with blue paint by dapping a drop on their thorax. It showed me that the same bees came to the same spot for water everyday.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:46 am 
User

any updates/photos?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:24 pm 
User

The other millipede died a week later. The immature solifugid seemed okay but maybe ate 1 small cricket since then, hung around anyway and died a week ago. I would guess that box must have undergone some bad temps along the way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:38 pm 
User

Sorry to hear that man. Possibly got exposed to some hot temps. Any luck on the taxonomy thing?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:16 pm 
User

No, nobody sent me $ to pay for shipping, the correct type of alcohol or even the address to ship to (this last one being the most important).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:11 am 
User

and we haven't heard any updates on the eggs Wade received yet. I'm assuming they are no longer alive but would like some info for better luck next time!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:49 am 
ATS Vice President

Unfortunately, you are correct, they did not live...however, I do have pics (on another computer) of the few that did hatch that I need to post.

They seen to fall into that tricky husandry area where they need moisture but too much kills them.

Wade

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:34 pm 
User

So feeding is no problem? In the wild they are found on quite fine soil...I didn't actually flip any rocks and spot them but I bet in captivity what could be done is provide the babies larger enclosures(with a moisture gradient) than is used for tarantula spiderlings. Add plenty of food. Wait.

Any info on how you raised them would be much appreciated. You got farther than most in having them hatch!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:39 am 
User

Sorry for resurrecting a very old thread. I have a gravid solifugid. Would anybody that was involved in this thread care to add any info that was not covered? I am going to give it a try. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:17 pm 
ATS Vice President

If I were to have an egg-laden female I would probably try to provide a substrate that holds a burrow or at least a combination of substrate and structure that it can build a burrow under. I think the best chance of success is if the eggs are laid in an as-close-to-natural situation as possible. Typically they lay them underground.

That's all I got!

Wade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:08 am 
User

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:05 am 
ATS Acting Webmaster

i have had luck incubating their eggs in a hammock style incubator, i just strung some pantyhose over the top of a large pill bottle... the pill bottle had water in the lower part and the lid had holes in it that were just large enough for the dispersing babies to escape when they were ready (dont make that mistake with the holes if you do try it)

Antioch, Ca

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:32 am 
User

Mike "troll" Dame wrote:
i have had luck incubating their eggs in a hammock style incubator, i just strung some pantyhose over the top of a large pill bottle... the pill bottle had water in the lower part and the lid had holes in it that were just large enough for the dispersing babies to escape when they were ready (dont make that mistake with the holes if you do try it)

Yes, I have the picture you posted. I have the female in a small container to minimize her movement. The container is in the dark. The container is fairly dry but has a small moist cotton ball and is at 75 F. There is a thin layer of substrate in it. These recommendations are from a person from Japan that had good luck getting another species to live for 2 years. 2 days ago she had visible eggs showing through her abdomen. 75% of the surface consisted on visible eggs. Today 100% of the abdomen has visible eggs. How does this sound? If she lays them I am going to transfer them to your hammock style incubator. How should I do this? Use a soft paint brush? Thanks.

Page 3 of 4 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next