It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Damon ???
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:12 pm 
User

Today I adopted a tailless whipscorpion. I believe it's a young male Damon diadema, but I'd like other opinions. Legspan is around 5 inches.

Poor little guy's missing part of one "whip," that will grow back with the next molt, correct? This is my first amblypygid, so any other tips you can give me are much appreciated. :)

Post subject: Re: Damon ???
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:00 pm 
User

Okay, after a ton of researching I'm pretty positive that I have a diadema, I know that the broken limb will grow back, and after getting a good look at its underside I'm fairly certain I have a male (wasn't able to get any pics though).

Now I've got a question about behavior. He was doing the oddest thing the other night - he'd extend a pedipalp, rub it against one of his legs, bring the pedipalp to his mouth, and repeat. It reminded me of my T's grooming themselves, is that what I was seeing?

One last question, I have a water dish in the enclosure to help keep the humidity up but will he drink from it? I've also been misting the sides and cork bark in case not.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:56 am 
User

Wade's the guy in the know, you might search Wade Harrell and this genus and see what you find here. I know he wrote a great article for the ATS Forum too.

I hope to keep these some day, except an entire group in a 40 breeder.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:14 am 
User

Thanks Christian, that brought up some threads I hadn't read yet!

I'd love to keep a communal of these too, especially after seeing a group of them in a wild. I'll have to see if I can find the pic I took of that, it was pretty incredible.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:18 am 
User

Sorry to keep adding posts, I can't edit them in this thread for some reason.

So today the air conditioning broke and the temp is hovering around 82. I'm not worried about the tarantulas or roaches but I'm a little concerned about this guy. So far he seems to be doing fine, took a cricket tonight and is munching it while I type, but how long can he survive at this temperature? I'm hesitant to put a fan on him, since I don't have any small ones and I don't want to dry out the enclosure or cool him down too much since I read an account on a different forum of low temps killing this species. I hope to have the problem solved before I leave on Thursday but in the meantime any advice is appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:21 pm 
User

That's an OK temperature. Just be mindful that stress can be temperatures or air movement, so I would not double up. Besides, I don't think the cooling effect would help much.

As for editing, we limit edits to a short time frame, as we had problems in the past with folks editing what they said for whatever whacky reason. It seems to work OK most of the time.

Christian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:04 pm 
User

Great, thanks again Christian. I'd hate to lose this little fellow after having him for only two weeks. The problem should be fixed by Friday, I look forward to coming back to a nice air-conditioned house after spending four days in the desert. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:04 pm 
ATS Vice President

I don't think you'll have any problems. Mine have survived temps into the mid 60's up into the low 90's with no observable problems. Mid-80's is acceptable and possibly ideal. I have air conditioning in my bug room but it doesn't come on until the temp goes over 86!

Overall, I regard them as being hardy animals. The only tricky part is molting as they need a overhanging surface they can cling to and hang from, and if disturbed they can fall and die. Ideally they need at least 8-10 inches vertical clearance to complete the process. A piece of cork leaned against the back of the terrarium works pretty well for this.

Wade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:11 pm 
User

Thank you Wade, that makes me feel much better. I'm glad to hear you think they're hardy, I'd hardly think of them that way judging by their fragile appearance. He certainly is an interesting critter at any rate, and I look forward to seeing him molt. The piece of cork bark in the cage is roughly 10 inches tall, so I guess I'm all set. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:42 pm 
ATS Vice President

In reference to you second post (which I missed before), you probably do want to moisten the substrate a bit. They will drink from a bowl if the have to, but they do like humidity. Since you'll be gone for a bit, moistening the subsrate would be a good idea.

Wade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:58 am 
User

I'll have someone looking after him too so he shouldn't dry out. Haven't seen him drink from the dish but he's sitting on it now grooming his lone antenna.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:57 am 
ATS Vice President

JenJen wrote:
I'll have someone looking after him too so he shouldn't dry out. Haven't seen him drink from the dish but he's sitting on it now grooming his lone antenna.

It's actually a leg and not an antenna, even though it is used for some of the same purposes as an insect's antenna. Arachnids do not have antennae, but I like to trick kids with these when I'm doing programs and show them an amblypygid and ask "how many antennae do arachnids have?" :D:D:D

Wade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:45 pm 
User

Wade Harrell wrote:
Arachnids do not have antennae, but I like to trick kids with these when I'm doing programs and show them an amblypygid and ask "how many antennae do arachnids have?" :D:D:D

Back a while I attended a talk at the local Audubon Society, presented by someone who perhaps overstated their knowledge base. The speaker showed a picture of a vinegaroon and explained that the "thing" on the back end of the vinegaroon was the ovipositor. (This was only one of several such flubs.) :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:14 pm 
User

Wade Harrell wrote:
It's actually a leg and not an antenna, even though it is used for some of the same purposes as an insect's antenna. Arachnids do not have antennae, but I like to trick kids with these when I'm doing programs and show them an amblypygid and ask "how many antennae do arachnids have?" :D:D:D

Wade

Thanks, I wasn't quite sure what to call it. It's quite amusing to watch him wave it around the enclosure... Can't wait 'til he gets the other one back.

That's pretty funny Bill. I didn't know all vinegaroons were female! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:43 am 
User

Damon seem to do fine with low humidity up until the point they go to molt.

JenJen wrote:
I didn't know all vinegaroons were female! :D
That's amusing since often when they fight the loser would be masculated.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:39 am 
User

ElytraAndAntenna wrote:
Damon seem to do fine with low humidity up until the point they go to molt.

Thanks for the info, I don't think he's close to a molt quite yet but I'm keeping an eye on him.

New question! I bought a fourth instar baby diadema this weekend. Besides keeping the humidity a bit higher, anything else I need to know about caring for a baby one?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:51 am 
User

I've been raising Damon continuously longer than almost anyone and I'm still learning to perfect my methodology. It's amazing how little differences in rearing conditions make differences that change your understanding. One generation to the next can surprise you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:11 am 
User

So you've got multiple generations of Damon? Is inbreeding something you have to worry about with amblypygids or does it occur naturally in the wild since some species are communal?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:12 am 
User

While it may be possible to go through one generation in as little as two years my average is closer to three or three and a half. Gestation is not fast and mature adults generally don't breed well (I've mated males early but have only had one early female produce eggs in early maturity and they didn't hatch though that part could easily have nothing to do with her age). I also had a wild male from Wade but I don't remember if my present line has much or any of that bloodline in it. I've had other inverts for dozens of generations and have yet to see negative effects of inbreeding (I see color variations and improvements in survival as positives). Even if there were negative effects for Damon I doubt I'd know for another ten or twenty years.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:45 am 
User

I meant early mature adults don't breed well (females often don't produce eggs despite mating or can't successfully accept the spermatophore as it hangs half out). Damon are sexually mature well before they reach full size which is where the rapid maturity accounts come from. Full size on the other hand produce eggs readily.

Page 1 of 2 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next