It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Seeking Solifugids
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:06 am 
User

I was wondering if anyone knew if Galeodes deserti is available here in the US? I have recently begun looking for some but have had no luck.

Also, I have been told that they are quite difficult to keep in captivity. Anyone have experience keeping these or other species? Id love to hear any advice!

Post subject: Re: Seeking Solifugids
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:36 am 
ATS Vice President

It has been a few years since I've seen Galeodes (or any solifugid really) offered for sale. I suspect that most importers got tired of paying for animals that tend to die before they can be sold!

They are, indeed, difficult to keep alive (although there are a few interesting exceptions). Even if you are successful, they appear to have a lifespan of only a year or two. Again, there are stories of exceptions, but as a rule they rarely survive more than a few weeks after being purchased.

Warren Savary did tell me a story of one that lived many months in a bare cup that was accidentally left in someones office drawer, far outliving specimens set up in elaborate cages! However, I'm pretty sure that was one of our native species.

Wade

Post subject: Re: Seeking Solifugids
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:47 pm 
User

Thanks Wade

Im hopeful that perhaps one day soon a break-through will be made on their captive care!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]