It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Damon diadema exuvia (large pics!)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:22 pm 
User

My two Damon diadema have molted again! I'm especially proud of my big guy, he's so handsome and that antenniform leg that was missing when I got him continues to grow.

I was very bored today so I got out my camera and the exuvia and proceeded to take pictures.

This one didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but you can see the size the male put on between last year's molt and this year's, as well as the regenerated leg.

I'm happy with this one! :D The condition of this molt is spectacular and almost looks alive, I'm going to mount it.

Tracking the growth of my baby amblypygid (amblypygidling? haha) with the help of a penny. Little thing's growing like a weed!

And one last picture of the baby's exuvia. Trying to get fancy with camera angles.

The live amblypygi are being less than cooperative when it comes to photos, especially the baby, but I did manage to get this picture of the male the other day. He says "bye and thanks for visiting our thread!"

Post subject: Re: Damon diadema exuvia (large pics!)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:42 am 
User

That's awesome, Jen! I love the fancy camera angles picture especially. Give your critters my best regards!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:20 am 
User

Cool. I have babies now. Anybody feed their Damon spp. large springtails? I have heard they will eat them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:09 pm 
User

MrCrackerpants wrote:
Cool. I have babies now. Anybody feed their Damon spp. large springtails? I have heard they will eat them.

How large are large springtails? As long as the babies can find them I think they could be good as feeders.

Here's a picture of my freshly-misted juvie D. diadema who came out to investigate things.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:48 am 
User

I have babies but can't get flightless fruit flies quick. They have just left the mother's abdomen. Will the scavenge fresh killed dubia or giant springtails?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:49 am 
User

MrCrackerpants wrote:
I have babies but can't get flightless fruit flies quick. They have just left the mother's abdomen. Will they scavenge fresh killed dubia or eat giant springtails?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:59 am 
User

MrCrackerpants wrote:
I have babies but can't get flightless fruit flies quick. They have just left the mother's abdomen. Will the scavenge fresh killed dubia or giant springtails?

I've never seen one scavenge, they have extremely poor eyesight so it seems to be movement that attracts them to their prey. (Seen them waving their antenniform legs around?) Do you have access to pinhead crickets? Both of mine have been eager to snatch up things similar in size to their bodies, I think pinheads would be your next best bet.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]