It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Strange Damon diadema molt
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:20 pm 
User

My younger Damon diadema molted again and I took some pictures as soon as I noticed.

What makes this molt different is the deformed regenerated limbs. Sometime between the molt prior to this one and this one the animal lost part of an antenniform leg as well as part of a rear leg. You can see in the photos how they regenerated; the antenniform leg has a small crooked appendage and the rear leg is curved in an unusual manner.

When my older D. diadema regenerated his antenniform leg shortly after I got him, it was smaller than the other one but still looked normal. I'm very confused as to why this younger animal's limbs developed in such a strange way. If anyone has any theories I'd be happy to hear them! The little one is doing fine, but I'm still baffled by its strange legs.

Post subject: Re: Strange Damon diadema molt
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:35 pm 
User

Are they able to stretch out completely after a molt? I'd point at that or something missing from the diet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:03 pm 
User

Christian Elowsky wrote:
Are they able to stretch out completely after a molt? I'd point at that or something missing from the diet.

Sorry for not replying to this!

Yes, the animal had room to stretch (though it will be getting a bigger enclosure now that it's larger). All I feed my amblys these days are crickets, and they've done fine up until now. Speaking of feeding, this particular ambly is still able to catch and consume prey just fine. I guess I'll just have to wait until the next molt and see what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:41 am 
ATS Vice President

I've had them molt like that sometimes. Sometimes they regenerate limbs better in one molt than in others, so it might not be anything that could be changed.

However, the things to look at are cage height, humidity, and making sure they have a good surface from which to molt. Loss of footing during the process can cause problems.

Crickets should be a fine diet, they seem to be the only commonly available insect these creatures will reliably feed upon.

Wade

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]