It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 7:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Where Has Everyone Gone?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:58 am 
User

It looks as if everyone has gone to Facebook. Even when new members come here & are told about Facebook they seem to abandon this forum. I mean I hardly ever have anything to post but I come here almost daily & I like to see new posts every once in a while. I truly enjoy reading about someones new Tarantula or where they went & what kind of arachnids they saw. I miss it.

This was my first website to join for Tarantula information & I hate to see it fall by the wayside.

I know I could join Facebook like most others but I personally do not care for Facebook. I know there can be a lot of information, trades, buying & selling on there but it's not for me. Just my personal feelings about it.

I'll be watching for new posts though. Let's keep hoping life will come back.
Or. Is it?
R.I.P.
ATS Forum

Post subject: Re: Where Has Everyone Gone?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:15 am 
User

About two years ago I really pushed for the ATS to remain off of Facebook. But even before that time, many of the forums were dying. I have t-shirts from forums which have gone out of business and gone dark, even to where the archived information has been lost. As long as we have operational funds, THIS forum will provide an archive. And honestly, while I have over 10,000 posts, I could probably have said most of that material in a thousand posts. Meaning, it's tough to explain basic information over and over and over and keep it fresh. The hobby does grow, it does live, new species are brought in, new techniques are developed, but I can not force people to use the forum. Thus I gave up and migrated as well.

For the record I really dislike using facebook. There is no archive and we do not own the material written there. Furthermore the moderation tools are nonexistent. Thus trying to share information is painful. But when nearly all the hobby is there, what choice do we have? This site came from a yahoo group, which came from a paper mailing list for breeders...

This forum was never the biggest, but we were not the first to die. The lights will stay on, but I can not predict the future. I'm glad people do check in, and I know the archived information is being useful still.

Christian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:49 am 
User

Christian,

it's really good to read you. I'm not a facebook guy, and I appreciate the forum for the exact reasons you give. Even if almost nobody seems to write here anymore, I'm checking twice or three times every week the ATS and BTS forums to see if someone is around. And the archives are priceless!

Thanks for everything and be sure that this forum is important!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:14 pm 
User

I know new members can get a lot from here if they took the time to look. When new members come here asking questions, I hate to but I feel I should refer them to Facebook now since most of the ATS members are there. The new members want help & answers & they may get them quicker there, I don't know.

Yes Christian, Thank You for helping making the ATS possible. It's helped me a lot & I've enjoyed it for the short time I've been here. I'll be here to the end.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:34 pm 
User

All of this reminded me that I needed to renew my membership so I went & did that. If I didn't need to renew my membership & it was a one time thing, I did it anyway. :) Oh well, every bit helps, right.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:36 pm 
User

BlackWidower8 wrote:
I know I could join Facebook like most others but I personally do not care for Facebook. I know there can be a lot of information, trades, buying & selling on there but it's not for me. Just my personal feelings about it.

Ditto. I was there when we first stood up the FB page and helped moderate it for a time, but I really grew to hate it. FB makes no sense for maintaining information for a hobby like ours. There is no way to organize the information. A good post is lost in a week. And most of what I see posted is just pic sharing and not actual info, which is what the ATS is so good at. I left the FB site, and only check it on occasion. I still love this Forum and check it usually 2-3 times a week. (I think that makes like 3 of us, lol).

Christian Elowsky wrote:
For the record I really dislike using facebook. There is no archive and we do not own the material written there. Furthermore the moderation tools are nonexistent. Thus trying to share information is painful. But when nearly all the hobby is there, what choice do we have?

Christian, what I'd love to see is more ATS Board & Mods posting here, keeping it alive. If you dislike the FB site, why not spend more time here?

I don't know what the solution is either. I've tried to think on it a lot over the last few years. FB is not good for the hobby or the ATS (in the long run), in my opinion. But Christian is right, you can't force people to post here. But I do think we should do a better job of encouraging folks to post here. I think FB should be a gateway to the ATS Forum. FB definitely has reached more folks than the Forum ever has. But most folks on FB don't even know this Forum exists. That is a shame.

I'm in another hobby with a Forum and a FB page, but the FB is used primarily for pics and the forum for info. I don't understand why our hobby is all or nothing in the medium of communication.

Seriously misunderstood creatures, spiders are. It’s the eyes, I reckon. They unnerve some folk.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:37 pm 
User

It's been a while since I have posted but I am so glad this forum is still alive. The information is priceless and even though I don't do much in the hobby, I still come back here and read stuff once in awhile.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:15 pm 
User

I assume that is why the site is still up even without more than 5 posts per year. While species diversity has increased, much of the information here is still viable. Well, all of the stuff not based on useless books.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]