It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: killing cockroaches but not my tarantulas
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:33 am 
User

My apartment has a cockroach problem right now. It's a new thing. I have tarantulas for pets (and I feed them only crickets). I'm not sure the source of the cockroaches, but they are really big, and I want to get rid of them in a way that doesn't risk harm to my tarantulas. Is there a safe way to do this? If I use one of those bait things and put them in a room where I don't have tarantulas, would that be safe? For example, Combat makes one that has an insecticide Fipronil that is in a food and according to a site selling it kills upon contact or ingestion. I've used these sorts of things before when I lived elsewhere (before I had tarantulas) and the bait smells like peanut butter. Anyways, if I were to get that, and set it out in a room other than the one I have my spiders in, could it cause any harm to my spiders? Is there a better solution? Thanks for any help!

Post subject: Re: killing cockroaches but not my tarantulas
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:43 pm 
User

I've used baits with borax or boric acid in them. It's only going to kill an invert if ingested. Some folks use cocoa powder mixed with borax as well. The roaches will eat the borax and die. This will cut down the numbers a bit. The best thing is to keep things dry and all possible foods cleaned up too.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]