It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: mites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:46 am 
User

If crickets carry mites which in turn can infest our T's, do the dubia roaches carry them as well?

Post subject: Re: mites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:47 am 
ATS President

I've never seen crickets transmit mites to tarantulas. Never meaning lots o' years, so I'd relax on that one. Folks can get a little paranoid, but if you have personal observations or links which good intel, please share!

Ectoparasitic mites in theory could be on any species if they're capable of feeding on tarantulas which have extremely thick exoskeletons... meaning if they can get on a tarantula, they would/could/might be able to feed on any species of insect.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:40 am 
User

It's discussed in The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. It just made me wonder if they infest roaches as well. It seems they probbably would.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:44 pm 
ATS President

Hmm. I've seen mites get introduced to enclosures via crickets, but these are NOT ectoparasitic species. Maybe someone has seen it and will chime in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:52 am 
User

komokenison wrote:
It's discussed in The Tarantula Keeper's Guide.
Stan (author of TKG) has discussed this online before. His attitude is that some mites are bad, it's difficult to tell mites apart, therefore it's better to consider all mites as bad - sort of a view that "the only good mite is a dead mite". Not everyone shares this view, and it's important to keep this in mind when reading his recommendations and warnings regarding mites.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:16 am 
ATS Vice President

Genuine parasitic mites are fairly rare in tarantula collections, and the few times I've actually seen them it's been on obviously freshly wild caught specimens offered for sale on the tables of shady reptile dealers at shows. These are generally slow moving of they move at all, most stay in place like ticks.

If you see mites crawling around, odds are they're some type of soil-dwelling or grain-feeding mites, the latter "type" (I don't wanna say species because there's probably many that live this lifestyle) being the one's most often associated with crickets, while the former is more likely to come from substrate or wood objects. Neither are usually dangerous as they do not feed on the spiders themselves. However, when there are very high numbers of them in the cage they may agitate the spider resulting in undue stress. Basic cleanliness and dryness (where possible) can help keep these cage pests in check.

These mites MAY cause a problem for eggsacs however, as I've heard of breeders losing sacs to mites, usually when they've managed to get in while the sac is being made. I don't think the mites can get into a completed sac.

Wade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:19 am 
ATS Vice President

Oh, and grain mites could certainly live in roach colonies, and some roach species have comensual mites that live on them (but are harmless).

Wade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:17 pm 
User

Just noticed something of suspect in our Ts' water dishes!

Do the tiny white dots in the water and on the edge look like mites? They definitely are alive and moving around, though no too fast. The picture is not the best, but they are SO tiny! For reference, the water dish is just under 2 inches in diameter.

How worried should we be? They are in all three enclosures around the water dishes. The substrates are a bit damp under the dishes, so would it be enough if we let it dry completely and keep changing the water, say daily? Oh, and the inhabitants are a L. parahybana (LS 6-7 inches), A. geniculata (LS 7 inches) and a freshly molted G. pulchra (LS maybe 3 inches), to whom the dish in the picture belongs to.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:22 pm 
User

All I know is what I've read in The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. That does look like what was described as a mite infestation. Letting the cage dry out is the best thing as mites dessicate quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:25 pm 
User

And why didn't I think of first getting the book out :roll: ? Oh well... Will do that now!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:49 pm 
ATS President

Unless they are on the tarantula, they are of no concern. Mites and springtails are often found in water dishes, both are only clean up crews. Relax. :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]