It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Molt Problem...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:52 pm 
User

Hello Fellas....
I have a small B. Boehmeii which is about 1 and half inch leg span...She molted last night pretty smoothly although she still has a spinneret stuck in her old skin which she is dragging around here tank now...I haven't interfered with her and she seems ok...Just that the old skin is still stuck to here spinneret behind her...

What is the best course of action?....Is it a problem?...Do I just leave it?...

Post subject: Re: Molt Problem...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:56 am 
User

Ok...So it took 24 hours but she has shaken off the old skin now and looks as far as I can see that there is nothing stuck to her spinneret so all is good I guess...Nice to see her in her new dress..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:32 am 
User

Good news Lewis. How are the spinnerets?

Most of the time, there is nothing you can do but wait: the T gets rid of the problem by herself (if it's just a small part like this, or even just one leg caught in the old skin). But if it happens to be more (several legs, etc.), you can try to moisten the skin with water and paintbrush to help soften the old cuticle. There are several posts on this forum which give indications how to proceed to help a T trapped in her old skin.

Main problem is to know when to interfere with the T: if you are worried because you find the molting process too long, you could disturb the T who just took her time and cause a molting problem. I guess it happens sometimes with beginners. But if you wait too long, it could be too late.

My way of doing things is to let the T molt without interference, even if it takes a looooong time (according to my human standards!). So far, I didn't have any problems (fingers crossed!). But I could happen, and then I would have to do something...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:10 pm 
User

Thanks for the post Nic...Her spinnerets are fine and complete...Just was a scare as I hadn't seen this before...I know that here new skin has to expand and solidify so I was concerned that if a spinneret was still constricted by the old skin that there would be a problem...but all is well...

Thanks Nic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:28 pm 
User

Hi there. Great looking boehmei first off, always been one of my favorites. This has happened numerous times for me as well. Sometimes, if you catch it right after the molt and its still moist, you can take some tweezers and gently and slowly pull it off.

Sometimes I also put the T in ICU for one day with moist paper towels. It will walk all over it and 99% of the time the excess skin will come off.
Keep us updated!
Best of luck.

Austin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:16 pm 
User

Thanks for the replies....

She managed to discard the old molt with no problem eventually...she has molted since this and is fine...and getting bigger...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]