It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Vagans Abdomen issue
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:17 am 
User

I left my Brachypelma Vagans (juvenile) with a collector to look after for 3 weeks while I went on holiday (she has 50 Ts)...When I left the T her abdomen was large and she was not eating so I suspected a molt although when I got her back I was assured she hadn't molted (However I'm pretty sure she has molted as her hair is brighter at the back of her abdomen, she seems bigger and I found a carapace in her box and as the collector has 50 Ts to look after maybe she made a mistake in telling me that this T hadn't molted).....Anyway her abdomen has this large area of discolouration between the carapace and top mid abdomen as if she has some sort of illness although she is eating and active as if there is no problem...

Anyone know what this is?....Should I be concerned?....Might she molt this out on next molt?...

2 pictures...with and without flash

Image Image

Post subject: Re: Vagans Abdomen issue
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:02 pm 
User

Lewis,

I could be two things. Firstly, ulcerations can occur where damage has occurred from falling or abrasion. Secondly, and pretty rarely some tarantula can get surface fungal infections. As the abdomen is not dark from the development of new setea under the current exoskeleton, I do not think a molt is too close. This happened while you were away, not right after the last molt?

I'm not sure what to suggest... I'd probably feed sparingly so more fat does not push on the abdomen and molting should be less risky.

I guess report back in a few weeks? Most of us have migrated to the ATS facebook page, if you choose to join there, please tag me and I'll chime in. I do not check this forum as much as I should.

Good luck.

Christian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:39 pm 
User

Thanks for you input Chris.....I'll keep you updated with any changes....She seems fine at the moment....so I'll just carry on with her as normal....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:16 pm 
User

She has molted twice since this issue and is now perfectly healthy with no sign of this problem...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]