It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Owner of a G Rosea With questions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:35 pm 
User

Hey guy's I just picked up a G.Rosea on Sunday from a pet store and was wondering if you guys could give me some tips and as well as answer a question of mine is a 20gal tank to big for it?

Post subject: Re: New Owner of a G Rosea With questions
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:01 am 
User

How large is the Tarantula? Some people use larger tanks for their Tarantulas but for a G. Rosea I would say a 10 gal would be big enough since they don't grow to a very large size as an adult.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:02 am 
User

Its a Juvenile she seems to crawl around and enjoy it...i have a burrow for her but she dosnt seem to have gone in it she likes to stay on top of it the substrate is still drying out though so that might be the case. im just afraid that she wont be able to feed well enough but ill probably just tong feed her instead of just putting the crickets in there and what not

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:16 am 
User

Also i could take a picture of the cage as well as Her (hopefully, havnt gotten a molt)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:19 am 
User

That's why I suggest a smaller tank. The crickets have less room to run around. I always put the crickets as close to the Tarantula as I can without spooking it. That usually get's the Tarantula's attention to go for the prey. My G. Rosea hardly went for the borrow I made too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:23 am 
User

She likes to sit on top of it and seems very docile she dosnt really seem aggressive and ive heard of their mood swings but she seems really active as well which leads me to believe she might be a male lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:23 am 
User

Also ive read mixed reports about keeping the substrate dry or moist and the whole humidity thing some say dont worry about some say moisten it. Whats your take

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:34 am 
User

I keep mine dry. The humidity is very high. I would suggest getting a copy of Tarantula Keepers Guide 3, 2009 edition, great book. Also when I first got started in Tarantulas I searched the internet like a fiend on each species I had. I thought that was the best way to learn. There were a lot of different opinions on different sites but there were also a lot that agreed on things & that's what I went with. Also asking here helps but most people from ATS went to Facebook. If you have a Facebook account look up The ATS & see what you find. I don't use Facebook so I can't help you there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:35 am 
User

I messed up. I meant to say. The humidity is NOT very high.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:39 am 
User

Hello!

You can keep your G rosea absolutely dry with a full waterdish available. One of the best care sheet about your specie is here:

http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:27 am 
User

It looks like another was lost to Facebook.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:12 pm 
User

I'm also looking to get either a Peruvian Blue Zebra or a Avicularia metallica as my first slings what would you guys recommend?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:49 pm 
User

Location: Any place in North America where 6 wheels can take me. See my website.
voidprophecy wrote:
I'm also looking to get either a Peruvian Blue Zebra or a Avicularia metallica as my first slings what would you guys recommend?

Whoa! Take it easy. This is a lifetime hobby, not a "slam, bam, thank you ma-am" sort of thing. These creatures are all of these:

1) Long lived. Even those with the shorter life spans may live 5 to 8 years. And, we suspect that a fair number are capable of living 35 to 50 years!

2) They're extremely complex creatures. We can trace their history back over five hundred million years. Some sort of human has been on Earth only about 5 million years. They have a 100 to 1 head start on us, and we're only beginning to understand the basics of their existence.

3) These are not "normal" pets. They break all the rules and approach the topic of survival in our world from perspectives that you simply cannot imagine until you STUDY these creatures.

"YOU NEED TO BE REPROGRAMMED! Yes, this is genuinely, sincerely, profoundly correct! While you may have developed some proficiency at the proper care of aquarium fish, turtles or lizards, parakeets, gerbils, and even the family dog or cat (although there is some genuine question about who has who as a pet with these last two), you need to set all those prejudices and practices aside, and start again with a clean slate."

-- The Tarantula Keeper's Guide, Edition Four, S. A. Schultz (In progress.)

This is one of those instances where the journey is what you're after, not the arrival. Here's a little write-up that I often offer novices. (And, even experienced aficionados can sometimes benefit from a little review.) If you try to do it all at once you not only miss the point, but you also miss all the scenery!

Ah, ha! Did you hear that? That was the newbie alarm! :lol:

Please don't be offended. Tarantulas have been around for several hundreds of millions of years, and have been evolving and fine tuning their lifestyles steadily, seemingly almost forever. So, we're all playing catch-up here, and in a sense will be newbies for a long time to come.

I strongly urge you to go to the Spiders, Calgary webtree and start reading. At least scan through the entire website, picking out topics that catch your attention, but be sure to read the following webpages.

STAN'S NEWBIE INTRODUCTION. No! You start out with the RIGHT foot first.

STAN'S RANT. Read as many of the books mentioned here as you can find.

MYTH WEBTREE. How did we ever get into this mess?

CARE SHEETS: THE MOTHER OF ALL MYTHS. How to avoid both going crazy and killing your spider at the same time.

TEMPERATURE. You may suffer hot flashes or cold chills but your tarantula doesn't.

RELATIVE HUMIDITY. You've been lied to!

GROWING YOUR OWN. No, we're talking about tarantulas here, not the other "stuff."

SUBSTRATE. Getting to the bottom of it all.

ADDENDA AND ERRATA. Changes, additions and all the material that never made it into the printed version of TKG3.

CARE AND HUSBANDRY OF THE CHILEAN ROSE TARANTULA. The pièce de résistance for everybody who has a Grammostola rosea. This one is necessary only if you've already got a rose, or are planning on getting one. Otherwise it may only be interesting reading to give you a broader data base.

The best news is that 90% of the questions you wanted to ask plus a lot, LOT more that you didn't think to ask are all laid out for you for ABSOLUTELY FREE if you read that website and take advantage of your friendly, neighborhood, public library! All you need do is read.

Best of luck. Hope this helps.

We all need to learn to view the world from the perspective of a large, fuzzy spider!

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]