User

So the question is...

Have you tried it out yet?!?

Christian

Post subject: Re: Complete instructions for Mechanical Mom
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:26 am 
User

pink1081 wrote:
If you have the bearing and cannot find the right size pipe in your area, PM me with your address and what you need. I would be happy to put together some pipe and fittings to help you out. Here in my area, this is the standard (right now) for pvc plumbing. Let me know if I can help....Jim

A second thought...
Are you sure you are looking at water pipe?? 1/2 inch electrical pvc has an OD of 7/8 inch, but 1/2 inch ID cpvc for plumbing (at least what I have here) is 5/8 OD. I do not have any here to measure but I think there is a 5/8 inch water line that would maybe be 7/8 OD??????

Anyway let me know if I can be of any help....Jim

Yes I looked at all types I could find.. even looked at electrical conduit but that stuff just isn't very straight even with a small piece lol (not that I found one skinny enough) I think the hardware stores around here just carry the 1/2" with the thicker walls rather than the thinner walls..probably because there isn't much of a market for the other.

I was talking with our secretary and she thought her husband might have some ideas.. he is a mechanic. It's possible that he might be able to find me a larger bearing or a suitable pipe or maybe take the stuff I already have and widen the center of the bearing out and shave down the piece of pipe a little to make them fit together. If that doesn't pan out, then I'll probably take you up on your offer and reimburse ya.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:21 am 
User

That is really cool. Though, I have to admit I have no idea what it is?
I gather from the posts it's some sort of incubation chamber. Or maybe some kind of tiny tarantula amusement ride:D A tiny gravitron perhaps?
Sorry, just having fun with my own ignorance.
Mac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:08 am 
ATS Acting Webmaster

yup its a mechanized egg sac incubator, it keeps the sac slowly rotating so you dont have to constantly go n roll the sac over through out the day/night

MacMan wrote:
That is really cool. Though, I have to admit I have no idea what it is?
I gather from the posts it's some sort of incubation chamber. Or maybe some kind of tiny tarantula amusement ride:D A tiny gravitron perhaps?
Sorry, just having fun with my own ignorance.
Mac

Antioch, Ca

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:04 am 
User

Christian Elowsky wrote:
So the question is...

Have you tried it out yet?!?

Christian

I have not used this new one yet. But my first one, which was much longer, ( would hold 6 or more cups :rolleyes: wishfull thinking) I did use last summer. I used it to rotate eggs with legs from a N. chromatus untill they molted to 1 st instar. I lined the cup with a paper towel and put the slings into the cup and screwed the top on. The timer kept them moving so they were not piled up and I did not have to mix them at all. The temp and humidity were controlled and it worked well.

I prefer to pull sacs after 30 days, so I do not plan to use it to rotate sacs, but having one is insurance just in case (most of us have life insurance, but do not want to ever use it...same idea!!)

Other uses
IUC..put unit into a larger aquarium, plug in heat pad, add wet towels, add spider.
Special care unit...remove cups and put vials with those slings you want to keep just a little warmer than your room.
Makes a great book end too:D.....Plus it was just fun to make!!

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:21 pm 
User

Yeah, I probably need to build one, not that I sleep anyway, but I'm starting to gear up my breeding...

Hmm.

Thanks for taking the time to post all this stuff!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:48 pm 
User

Good deal, well done Ive seen instructions on how to build a MM else wear but this is the best that Ive seen so far. Two thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:28 am 
User

Jolly nice, Jim!

I'm certainly hoping to have copious egg sacs in the near/medium future, so will see if I can find these components locally. (I'm in South Africa)

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:56 pm 
User

I see one issue with the whole set-up. That light bulb is awfully close to the baseplate on the outlet. If that baseplate starts to melt it could cause toxic fumes.

Alternatively you could lay that outlet down and just use the plug to light socket unit instead of the 2 pieces to achieve a 90 degree which you no longer need.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:45 am 
User

Question and a comment:

Question: What size are the cups you used? I found 70mm (just under 3") "Stack Packs" grouped 4 together as opposed to 5. These look about right, but I didn't see them mentioned in either the parts list or shopping list.

Comment: I noticed some naming discrepancy in the PVC piping you used. PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride) is typically white at the hardware store and CPVC (Chlorinated Poly Vinyl Chloride) is typically off-white/yellow. Your pictures show CPVC for most of the parts but your parts list calls them PVC. There's a big difference between the two, especially when it comes to outside diameter, which is important for your support bearing. Also, some CPVC is sold in diameters matching steel pipe and some is sold in diameters matching copper pipe. When referring to 1/2" CPVC with a 5/8" outside diameter, this is "copper pipe" equivalent. When all else fails, take a tape measure or ruler to the hardware store and measure the outside diameterhttp://www.tfd.com/diameter of the pipe you are choosing and make sure it is 5/8" to match the bearing.

For those of you who are unsure, the diameter is the width of the pipe; similar to the typical the first cut you make across a pizza to divide it in half.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:20 am 
User

dj, you are correct it should be cpvc. It is best to go between the departments with your parts or have a small section of pipe to make sure all things fit together.
The cups are the 70 mm cups. When I got mine they were selling them in a 5 pack.

Thanks, Jim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:07 am 
User

That is awesome.. I looooove that.. GREAT IDEA.. Two spinnerets up...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:41 pm 
User

Very nice post! Alot of folks have been waiting for this.

Thanks,
John

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:17 am 
User

[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"][/SIZE][/font]
Hi Jim
I'm new here, and from the UK. The Mechanical Mom you discribe in your thread, does the tank have a lid on or not. If so will it need air holes in it, I would think so but not quite sure.
Chers
RK.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:53 am 
User

Hi RK,

Yes, I made a lid for the tank. What I did was cut a piece of foil covered foam board ( 1/2 inch) to fit the inside of a screened cover. As far as ventilation just a small hole for some air exchange works well.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:20 pm 
User

MacMan wrote:
A tiny gravitron perhaps?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but when I got to the bit above, the notion of an Invertebrate DisneyWorld-kind of thing, complete with T's on whirl-a-cups/roller-coasters and the like, including the overseeing of all by Dark Corporate Overlords [tm] actually made me nearly laugh to the point of being incontinent.

Please be more careful with your humour in the future, Sir.

~JMB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:02 pm 
User

While time forbids even my making THIS amount of commentary (I'm currently wishing eternal damnation on the {redacted}, but that's neither here nor there), I wanted to add:

1. This is an ingenious and well-thought-out design;
  2. It appears your design tolerances are actually reasonably broad (e.g., one could make this slightly outside your specs without significant dysfunction);
  3. It's so perfect in its simplicity that the only possible improvements I could make (and I'm just GREAT for always thinking I can do things better...hah...), while increasing the monitoring & control precision of thermal/humidity/airflow factors, said additions would also significantly increase the complexity, and as such, would be an affront to what you've done so very elegantly, as shown above.

I'll post pix of the one I am currently, in my spare moments (e.g., those I occasionally have between 0500 - 0530 EST) building for my Significant Other (SIGOTH, for short), as she's got the Tarantula-fetish, as it were, while I'm a scorpion-geek, myself.

The second point above is NOT damning w/faint praise, either: I mean that in the same way I'd say the that the large ejection port on (say) a Ruger P95DC is a good thing (misfires only occur when one deliberately forces it to do so, and even when *trying* to force a malfunction, they're difficult to obtain).

IOW, even someone VERY mechanically dis-inclined would, IMNSHO, have a hard time bollocksing up your design, as stated above to the point where it was non-functional...Then again, one should never underestimate the raw power of the Universal Idiocy Factor, but whatever.

Well done, Sir!

My only significant changes to the design, off the top of my head, would entail the use of resistive heating such as well-insulated nichrome wire spread evenly spaced over a section of aluminum flashing and secured with metallic tape, rendering it both more energy-efficient and ideally more precisely and evenly heatable if applied correctly in relation to the thermostat; as this would by no means reduce the simplicity of the design, my improvements aren't really much in the way of improvements, in that sense, which defeats the purpose(!), and regarding regulation of air movement/humidity only increases the complexity further, hence, in Govt. Parlance, I'd only be able to 'Disimprove' the design (yes, that is a real word, no I'm not making it up). :rolleyes:

I suppose if I had more than fragmented amounts of time to stop & think about it, I could figure out a way of simplifying those latter two parts to where they could become simpler in design (that's the real art there: cramming complex functionality into something designed to be 'simple', if you know what I mean), but time currently forbids.

Either way, yes, this should be PDF'd, and provided nobody has an problems with that, I'll see if I can't cajole someone (*cough* my SIGOTH *cough*) into doing so, w/it being CopyLefted so the PDF file isn't locked down (or is, if so desired, with rights given to you, or the ATS, or whoever is supposed to have them). But that's low on the priority list at present: my main point was that you've made a bang-up good-job How-To on a similarly bang-up good-job device which *automates* something which would otherwise occupy human time -- I'm a huge proponent of this, obviously :)

Tempus is fugiting, so that's all for now.

Regards,

~JMB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:52 am 
User

Hey JMB,
Thanks for you review (I Think;)) Just one comment to you.....Get Out Of Washington as soon as you can!!! I think you are catching what our politicians have. THERE IS STILL TIME!!!, I think you can still be saved.:p;):D
Pennsylvania is nice this time of year!
Great Post...Thanks again, Jim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:53 pm 
User

I hate to revive a thread that is 3 years old, but my curiosity is killing me!

Anyone have pictures and instructions for this Mechanical Mom incubator project? Everything appears to be broken links now.

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:38 am 
User

CoolaidKid,
I am still around. Have not posted for a long time, too many other things going on. If there is something I can do to reactivate the account so the pictures show, I would be happy to do what ever it takes. If nothing can be done, I can pm you and get the pictures to you if you would like.
I will wait for an answer from the higher-ups......Jim

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next