It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: August NTEC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:43 am 
Small meeting this month - just Pam, Chris and myself, but we still enjoyed some good food, good conversation, and of course, some spiders. We decided to just take pictures of the spiders. ;)

First off, we brought out some pairs to attempt. We had A. avicularia, B. vagans, G. pulchripes and P. scrofa. The avic female was hanging out on the side of her enclosure enjoying the remnants of last night's meal, so we didn't attempt those two at all, so on to the Chacos...

Here's the boy...

And here's the girl...

Notice she's also enjoying the remnants of last night's meal. So...another pair postponed. Though, to be fair...these 2 were paired a couple of times previously, and she is getting rather plump...so fingers crossed!

Next up, the B. vagans.

Here's the lady:

And her gentleman caller:

The two of them together:

This pair had also been together a couple of times previously, and the female here had just about enough of her suitor. She slapped him away despite his numerous attempts to court her. Eventually, he retreated. Hopefully, he got things done on one of their previous, more successful dates.

Next up was P. scrofa. We were all amazed at just how tiny the MMs of this species are. Not even the size of an adult dubia. For comparison, here's a shot of them in the same enclosure. Female is on the right, and is a solid 3-3.5" DLS.

An up close shot of the lady:

And the gentleman:

Sadly, things didn't go so well for this date. She approached him and when he made his move, she pounced, despite our attempts at intervention, there was no saving this little guy. She had a death grip on him and had punctured his abdomen, so we just let her have him. Apologies for the grisly pic here...but it also illustrates just how much she dwarfs him.

After that, we decided to rehouse an A. geniculata female that was outgrowing her former enclosure. Here's a pic of that pretty lady:

And finally, we did a brief photo shoot with my newest MM who decided to have his mature molt last night - and an upright molt at that. Thankfully, he didn't have any issue with getting his palps free.

Ain't he a pretty boy?

"No, no, not the flash!"

And after that it was pretty much time to wrap things up! Good times...well, for everyone except the scrofa boy. Stinkin' naughty male munchin' girls... :evil:

Post subject: Re: August NTEC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:38 am 
User

Great looking spiders, breeding... I missed it! Darn it. Well next month, hopefully.

Naughty P. scrofa!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:28 am 
User

Great pictures!!!!
Sorry I missed the meeting, I should be able to make it next month :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:46 am 
User

Good job Jen, the pics are great. :D

Nothing says "Welcome" like vials of 8-legged babies! :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:22 am 
User

and I went back twice to see if I'd missed the name....what is that pretty red MM?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:02 am 
User

Dang, wish I lived closer...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:20 am 
ATS Treasurer

Celeste wrote:
and I went back twice to see if I'd missed the name....what is that pretty red MM?

Sorry for the lateness in the reply...I just noticed your post, Celeste! :redface:

That boy is a G. rosea. Some folks like to say that these are the 'true' rosea (with their pink counterparts being G. porteri), while others label them as RCF (red color form). I don't think there are any documents to back either name up, and I know there's even some debate as to whether or not they are even the same species as their pink counterparts.

As a side note, that little man's name was Elmo. Sadly, he just passed away, 1 year and 1 month past his maturity. He was quite the character, but ran himself ragged looking for ladies. I do have another boy - same species - that's going on 3 years past ultimate molt and he's healthy as a horse...but he's also a pet rock and doesn't do any kind of wandering whatsoever. :roll:

Hopefully, Elmo will have offspring. He was paired with 2 ladies prior to his passing. ;)

Jen

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]