It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: questions on 'keeping' house spiders
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:31 am 
User

I have Steatoda triangulosa (I am pretty sure) in many, many corners of my house. I am sure they are responsible for many of the delightful cobwebs I have in windowsills and corners. I would like to set up some way that I could observe one, as i know they just keep the same web and add to it, I believe through the lifespan. It is fairly easy to catch them when I am quick enough, but with their habit of building in places 'out of sight' I am not sure how i would set up something one would stay in. I dont wish to try to feed it, but 'keep' one in a place that would seem natural to it, where i am assuming it would get food. (I dont know what all these critters are eating, but I most have a very healthy microscopic ecosystem in my house.)

any suggestions? They are incredibly beautiful spiders (so tiny they are difficult to catch on film, but my eyes can see them very close without my glasses) but what fascinates me even more is their three dimensional structures. as an artist I find this incredibly inspiring, when the light catches them just right they remind my of crystalline facets.

Suggestions anyone?

Post subject: Re: questions on 'keeping' house spiders
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:40 am 
User

Celeste, I've done this before sometimes with better luck than others. For whatever reason when I lived in a duplex in Minneapolis that is where I had the best success. There was one particular corner where I always had an adult female. I never vacuumed near her. She always had lots of egg sacs and I assume the successive generations just kept replacing each other. I find them in my current place too but they seem to be outnumbered here by Pholcus phalangoides. I am not sure why. But since talking to you I am going to try to keep an eye as well.

http://midwestspiders.tenczar.net/Spide ... ulosa.html

Post subject: Re: questions on 'keeping' house spiders
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:47 pm 
User

We get a lot of parasteatoda tepidariorum here (in fact, they have taken over my garage), and I find the best way to observe them is to simply leave them be. Perhaps you can try to relocate one of the spiders to a place that would provide you with more comfort and ease in observation, and hope she builds a web? Good luck!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]