It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help! please help me identify this spider
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:41 am 
User

I live in texas near the waco area and I just caught this in my bedroom.....I have 6 tarantulas and at first I ran to see if I had a escapee.... I dont know if this is a tarantula or not but hes def bigger then any house spider ive seen.

His body looks smooth like old world tarantulas,,,,anyways can some one help me identify it?

He also seems terrestrial, doesnt climb

0.0.2 L. parahybana
0.0.1 C. cyaneopubescens

Post subject: Re: Help! please help me identify this spider
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:38 am 
User

heres a better pic

0.0.2 L. parahybana
0.0.1 C. cyaneopubescens

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:06 am 
User

Location: Any place in North America where 6 wheels can take me. See my website.
KrysH wrote:
heres a better pic ...

Wolf spider of some sort. I'm not a good enough general spider man to be able to recognize them by scientific name right off the top. Every once in a while I run into someone who claims to have been bitten by one. In those few cases where I can believe them (some people have far too fertile imaginations) the bite develops into a hard lump that turns red and hurts. Gradually subsides in a few days to a week. No long lasting effects like your head falling off or anything. :lol:

Make fairly good cage pets. Yours appears to be a female.

I'm sure someone else will chime in within the next little while and give you a scientific name and tell you whether it's a surface dwelling hunter or lives in a burrow like a tarantula.

Enjoy your neat little 8-legged buddy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:31 am 
User

Stan Schultz wrote:
KrysH wrote:
heres a better pic ...

Wolf spider of some sort. I'm not a good enough general spider man to be able to recognize them by scientific name right off the top. Every once in a while I run into someone who claims to have been bitten by one. In those few cases where I can believe them (some people have far too fertile imaginations) the bite develops into a hard lump that turns red and hurts. Gradually subsides in a few days to a week. No long lasting effects like your head falling off or anything. :lol:

Make fairly good cage pets. Yours appears to be a female.

I'm sure someone else will chime in within the next little while and give you a scientific name and tell you whether it's a surface dwelling hunter or lives in a burrow like a tarantula.

Enjoy your neat little 8-legged buddy.

ok cool I at first was lil scared thought it was a hobo,,,,,,,so its not dangerous and I can keep it?

0.0.2 L. parahybana
0.0.1 C. cyaneopubescens

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:03 pm 
User

Location: Any place in North America where 6 wheels can take me. See my website.
KrysH wrote:
... ok cool I at first was lil scared thought it was a hobo,,,,,,,so its not dangerous and I can keep it?

No, it's not dangerous, and you can keep it. Uncle Stan said so. :lol:

However, as you probably have already noticed, it's faster than blazes. Whenever you have to work with it, do so in the bathroom, in the tub or shower to limit its ability to run, and the places it can hide. PLUG ALL THE DRAINS! ROLL A BATH TOWEL INTO A LONG "SAUSAGE," AND USE IT TO BLOCK THE CRACK UNDER THE DOOR. Also, make sure you always have something like a plastic drinking glass and a file card or other piece of light cardboard to catch it with, if it gets loose. WARNING: THEIR LEGS FALL OFF DISTRESSINGLY EASILY. You don't want to try touching it directly, and you have to show a little respect when trapping it with a glass.

So far no one has offered a scientific name or hazarded a guess of whether it's a surface dweller/hunter or a burrower. I've heard reports of wolf spiders living several years, but this one is already full grown and probably most of the way through its life. No way to tell for sure, though.

Temporarily, I'd try to give it a cage with about 6" of substrate so it can burrow a little if it wants to. You can even start a burrow for it in one corner, perhaps, so you can see what's happening below ground. You need to plan ahead, though, because the burrow must be covered to exclude light or your spider will cover the inside with silk and maybe substrate to block out the light. (It may do this anyway!)

Most spiders can't see red light, at least very well, so you could watch what it's doing in there with a red bulb. Where do you get something like that? No idea. Try maybe one of the larger, more complete camera and photographic supply stores. They used to use them in darkrooms.

Best of luck! Enjoy your little 8-legged marvels!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:09 pm 
ATS Vice President

Probably the genus is Hogna. The markings are simmilar to Hogna carolinensis, but there are many simmilar looking spiders in the genus AND their apparearance is is highly variable accross their range (which is most of the US). If it IS H. carolinensis, it's got some growing to do as the species is known to reach 4" in legspan.

Wolf spiders are very poor climbers and cannot scale smooth surfaces and this makes them much easier to manage than some of the other large non-tarantula spiders. If you set up a cage with smooth sides, be it a glass or plastic jar, terrarium etc you should be able to basically pour it from the vial into the cage.

It may burrow as Stan suggests, but most of the ones I've kept don't seem too interested in burrowing even when I collected them from a burrow. I usually just give them an inch or so of substrate (whatever you use for your tarantulas is fine) and something to hide under. This can be a piece of bark, a piece of PVC pipe, a dried leaf or whatever. A small condiment cup or jar lid can be used to offer water.

Wolf spiders are a little more sensitive to drying out than your typical tarantula. In addition to the water dish, I like to moisten the substrate under the hiding area as well.

Lifespan can vary depending on species, with the larger ones living longer than smaller species. I've had H. carolinensis (the largest US species) live close to 4 years.

Wade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:38 am 
User

and its a girl right?

any1 with name ideas?lol

0.0.2 L. parahybana
0.0.1 C. cyaneopubescens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:37 pm 
User

KrysH wrote:
and its a girl right? ...

Looks like it from your photo.

KrysH wrote:
... any1 with name ideas?lol

With a name like Hogna, "Miss Piggy" would seem appropriate! :lol:

But then I 'm a little perverse anyway. :spider:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:45 pm 
ATS Vice President

If it's an adult already I agree with Stan and say female. Adult males will have somewhat bulbous palps (this is not as obvious in wolfs as it is in many spiders but you can see it for sure) and longer, thinner legs. If it's an immature I'd probably still guess female with the reservation that before maturity they look a lot more alike. However, males tend to look a a bit more spindly before maturity, and that one looks pretty robust!

Wade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:16 pm 
User

Stan Schultz wrote:
KrysH wrote:
and its a girl right? ...

Looks like it from your photo.

KrysH wrote:
... any1 with name ideas?lol

With a name like Hogna, "Miss Piggy" would seem appropriate! :lol:

But then I 'm a little perverse anyway. :spider:

lol thats a cute name, as of right now her name is Skuttles because i found her scuttling across my bedroom floor.....I like it better with the K for her name.

shes settled in nicely and made a burrow. Im going to offer her a cricket later.

0.0.2 L. parahybana
0.0.1 C. cyaneopubescens

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:09 am 
User

If the underside of her is pure black, I'd wager on Hogna carolinesis as well. I was able to capture one in my garage. Incredibly skittish. Died only a few days later. My theory is that there was too much going on around it and stressed the poor bugger to death. I would stress the importance of a place to hide as they typically produce burrows in the ground and fortify the entrance with a "turret" of twigs and debris. Definitely needs a place to feel safe.

Also, as other's have said, very poor at climbing, but very fast at running and can hop about an inch high from my experience.

I am glad to hear yours has settled in well, definitely keep her watered and fed. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:44 pm 
User

Hogna antelucana has a black venter as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:08 am 
User

loxoscelesfear wrote:
Hogna antelucana has a black venter as well.

I looked up Hogna antelucana photos I believe thats what she is

0.0.2 L. parahybana
0.0.1 C. cyaneopubescens

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]