It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: help - dolomedes tenebrosus spiderling stuck in molt!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:12 pm 
User

My son's dolomedes tenebrosus spiderling is stuck in its molt. The spiderling is almost 5 months old, has a legspan of about 1 inch, and appears to have its front legs and maybe its pedipalps stuck in the molt. We noticed that it was molting/had molted yesterday, and then noticed late last night that it appeared to be stuck. This morning my son put the spiderling in an ICU with damp paper towel. The six rear legs and body seem to be fine but the front legs are still mostly stuck. The spiderling can walk around. I took a photo of the spiderling in its ICU - it's hard to see, but it's the best photo I could get:

Any suggestions on what we might do to help? Would it be possible for the spiderling to survive without front legs and pedipalps? My son has two spiderlings from the egg sac of the pet dolomedes tenebrosus that he had last summer, and he would really like to help this one if he can.

Post subject: Re: help - dolomedes tenebrosus spiderling stuck in molt!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:21 pm 
User

My suggestion would be to, after it has been in the ICU for a bit, to give the molt a chance to soften up... drop a small drop of glycerine onto the stuck appendages. This could help lubricate the legs and help the molt slip off. Then gently grab the molt with a pair of tweezers and try to (again gently) pull the molt, to see if you can help free it.

It could survive without the legs and pedipalps. But losing the pedipalps would make grasping and eating prey hard. Offering pre killed food would help this as long as the fangs are not damaged as well. If it were to lose the legs, it would likely force a molt in short time to try to regenerate them. I hope everything turns out OK, and Keep us posted.

Seriously misunderstood creatures, spiders are. It’s the eyes, I reckon. They unnerve some folk.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:45 am 
User

Thanks for the advice! We tried the glycerin this evening, and pulling gently on the molt, but no luck so far. We managed to remove the rest of the molt that was just hanging there, but the two front legs and palps are still stuck. I'm not sure if we got the glycerin in the right place, and the spiderling kept trying to climb on to the tweezers. We put him/her back in the ICU for now, and we'll try again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:52 pm 
User

you want the glycerine to get inbetween the old and new skin, so put a drop right where the new leg is coming out of the old skin. Is it doing any better?

Seriously misunderstood creatures, spiders are. It’s the eyes, I reckon. They unnerve some folk.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:13 am 
User

The spiderling is still doing about the same - it seems ok and is walking around, but the front legs and palps are still stuck. It looks like the stuck legs are at odd angles too, so I'm not sure that they will come out. My other son came down with stomach flu today, so I haven't been able to try the glycerine again. Thanks for the clarification on where to put the glycerine. We'll give it another try. If the old skin doesn't come off, should we try to help the spider pull off the legs, or hope that it does it on its own? I was thinking of offering a small pre-killed cricket tomorrow, to see if it can eat. Thanks again for the help!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:57 pm 
User

I would not try to pull the legs off the spider, it could possibly do more harm than good. If the legs are in fact hindering the spider, it will likely do that itself.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:50 am 
User

The spiderling seems to have taken care of the problem itself today. When we checked on it this evening, the stuck limbs had been taken off, and the spiderling now has six legs and one pedipalp - it seems as if the one pedipalp might have come out ok. We'll stick with the pre-killed prey for now, and hopefully things will be ok.

Thanks very much for your help!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:25 am 
User

Glad it seems to be working out for the little guy. He will get by without the limbs and they will regenerate later. Glad you didn't need to remove them yourself.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]