It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: 5 Spiders 1 Web
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:13 am 
User

This is my most unusual spider find to date. Five spiders from three different families are sharing a single web!

This afternoon I went outside to check on my golden silk orbweavers (Nephila clavipes). The female that lives next to the shed is still there, along with her male suitor. I watched her cut a piece of pine straw out of the web for a while until I noticed that the couple was not alone. There are now three other spiders in the web!

I had my husband stand on the other side of the web with a piece of white sheet metal so that the camera would focus on the spiders. The spiders labeled in red are females; the blue labels are for males.

Here are the usual suspects.

One is interloper is a female dewdrop spider (Argyrodes). These kleptoparasites are often found in Nephila clavipes webs, so although I have never seen one in person before, that did not surprise me.

The surprising find is a pair of orchard orbweavers (Leucauge venusta). The female actually built a web within the Nephila clavipes web! Her male suitor is on the other side of the Nephila clavipes web.

Post subject: Re: 5 Spiders 1 Web
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:47 am 
User

Very interesting. Nice pics!

Seriously misunderstood creatures, spiders are. It’s the eyes, I reckon. They unnerve some folk.

Post subject: Re: 5 Spiders 1 Web
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:27 pm 
User

I checked on them again today. The male orchard orbweaver is gone, but the other spiders are still there.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]