It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: My pair of A. chalcodes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:03 pm 
User

I got these two A. chalcodes as cute little 1/4" 2nd instars from Christian in 2006. They originally came from Darrin V. They are finally showing some adult coloration and getting to be a decent size (about 3"). They are so sweet and gently. Handling them last night reminded my why they are my favorite species.

Sandy, my female, is starting to get some awesome coloration.

Randy, my male, is 1 molt behind Sandy, and you can see he's a bit darker.

Photos taken with iPhone.

Seriously misunderstood creatures, spiders are. It’s the eyes, I reckon. They unnerve some folk.

Post subject: Re: My pair of A. chalcodes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 pm 
User

Those were from an adult female who dropped the sac, and probably from within 50 miles of Phoenix. The reason I'm posting this is so that if the species get sorted out, you'll have a better idea of what they are. As they're from a dropped sac and not from breeding, there is a much lower chance of any hybridization going on. Also, thank you so much for posting the pictures, they look great and show just how slowly this species grows.

Christian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:09 pm 
User

Thanks Christian. I remember you saying they were captive born from a WC mother. You also said there were two different sacs, so these could be siblings, or maybe not. Yes, they do grow very slowly, but it is so worth the wait! I'm very excited to keep these two for their entire life to see just how long this species can live in captivity. I remember talking to Stan about this species, and he thought it was completely possible for them to live 30-40 years.

I am intentionally feeding my male about half of what I feed my female, hoping to slow his growth a little, to see if I can breed these two in the future (distant future!).

Seriously misunderstood creatures, spiders are. It’s the eyes, I reckon. They unnerve some folk.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:19 pm 
User

Oh! Right, two sacs... I had forgotten that, but now that you say it, I do recall different labels. It might explain some of the color variation though. I'm hoping to have another couple of 2-4 year old Aphonopelma images from conference collected spiderlings which were leaving the burrow on the site at some point. I just need to remember who I spoke with at the conference... I guess I need to keep better notes.

Christian

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]