Total number of pairings: 2

Eggsac found: 16-Sep-10

Eggsac pulled: 14-Oct-10

Stage of slings when pulled: 1st Instars

2nd instar molt date: 27-Oct-10

Post subject: Avicularia avicularia
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:32 am 
Successful.

No special treatment was given to either the male or the female prior to introduction. Both were fed a few days prior.

1st pairing occurred 4/25/10. Male was placed inside female's enclosure. Once the male found the female's webbing, he began drumming. She responded by drumming heavily almost immediately. She approached him and mating soon followed. Several insertions were witnessed and the two remained paired for about 5 minutes before the male withdrew. He was left with the female to co-hab. He was found consumed a week later.

Female was kept in our spider room (temp 72-75, humidity 60%) and fed weekly (1 sub adult or adult dubia OR 4-6 large crickets). She was also misted weekly.

Female refused food 7/27/10. Begins webbing herself in.

Sac was produced 7/30/10. She did not accept food while holding the sac, but I continued to mist her once weekly as she did not attempt to go near her water dish either. I did witness her leave the sac to drink water from her web after misting.

Sac was pulled 9/26/10. We found 60 post embryos darkening for 2nd instar molt. 2 eggs were black (bad).

Babies molted to 2nd instar 10/7/10-10/8/10. Final count 58. 2 post embryos died before molting.

This was our first attempt breeding this species. In the future, I probably won't co-hab the boys after successful pairings (especially w/ this girl!), but otherwise would repeat everything the same. It's interesting to note that the MM in this case came from a local Petco, and at the time of pairing, he was about 10 months post ultimate molt - so an older suitor, to be sure, but apparently still fertile!

Jen

Post subject: Re: Avicularia avicularia
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:46 pm 
ATS Treasurer

Successful

Female ID: "Geo"

Female's last molt: 5/2010

MM received: 7/28/10 - on loan from Tarantula, Inc

Female has been fed heavy since 6/2010 - 3 large crickets twice weekly

MM first introduced 7/31/10. Female was very receptive, however male was very skittish and retreated from her enclosure almost immediately. MM removed.

2nd attempt: 8/3/10. Female was again very interested, and again, the male attempted retreat. This time I left him to co-hab.

8/6/10: Removed MM from female's enclosure and fed female 3 large crickets. No pairings were witnessed during co-hab period.

9/28/10: Witnessed male making sperm web, re-paired. Female very receptive, and this time the male courted her extensively. After about 20 minutes of him chasing and drumming from both parties, mating ensued. Several insertions witnessed over a 5 minute period, and the male used both palps. MM was removed afterwards.

Following this mating, I fed the female at least weekly, 3-6 large crickets or a sub-adult dubia. She was kept in my spider room where temps are 78-82 during the day and 72-75 at night. Humidity varies, but averages 72%.

1/1/11: Female has refused food, abdomen is large. She has not done any webbing as of yet.

1/9/11: Female accepted a meal for the first time in 3 weeks.

1/14/11: Female refused food, abdomen is huge.

1/21/11: She's starting to web! Too early to tell if she's actually constructing a nest, but seeing as how this particular avic hasn't webbed at ALL since I've had her...I consider this a good sign. I overfilled her water dish and poured about 2 oz. of water into the substrate opposite where she was webbing. I also misted her enclosure heavily.

2/12/11: Found her at the very bottom of her tube web, burrowed into the substrate (does she think she's terrestrial??) clutching a sac!

3/28/11 - Sac pulled. About 35 first instar slings darkening for the molt to 2nd instar. 18-19 eggs were unfertilized and there were 2 eggs that were hard and dried. Surviving slings are feeding on the unfertilized eggs!

4/12/11 - starting to molt to 2nd instar!

4/15/11 - all molted that are going to molt...4 died before making the molt to 2i, and 2 died in the process or shortly thereafter. Final count: 29

Notes: This was a first sac for this female, and I think the low count was due to improper rotation leading to poor fertilization.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:23 pm 
User

Female number: Av_av_2

Female's most recent molt: 23-Dec-10

Total Molts Since Previous Eggsac: 1

Male number: Av_av_9

Male's ultimate molt: 10-Jul-10

First pairing: 8-Jan-11

Final pairing: 8-Jan-11

Total number of pairings: 1

Eggsac found: 14 April 11

Eggsac pulled: 4-May-11

Stage of slings when pulled: Post Embryos

1st instar molt date: 15-May-11

2nd instar molt date: 31-May-11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:11 pm 
ATS Treasurer

Failure

Female ID: Sapphire

Female's Last Molt: May, 2011

MM ID: Heffner II

MM Ultimate Molt: August, 2010

The female is housed in a medium sized Kritter Keeper with coco fiber substrate, a large piece of driftwood and a water dish. She has lived in this habitat for about 2 years. This is our first breeding attempt with her. Temperatures in the spider room are between 77-79 and ambient humidity is between 75-79% or better.

7/30/11: First pairing. Very successful. MM drums immediately upon entering female's enclosure and female is extremely receptive and drums wildly to him in return. MM approaches female and mating immediately ensues. Pairing occurs for about 15-20 minutes, during which time the MM inserts both palps multiple times.

Due to the length and quality of the pairing, I did not re-pair this girl. The MM never made another sperm web and passed away only a few weeks later.

11/6/11: Sac constructed!

12/26/11 - Pulled sac. No development in the eggs whatsoever. Completely unfertilized.

Result: Failure
Probable Cause: Old Male (infertility)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]