It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Holothele incei
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:57 am 
User

Successful.

"Special Care": Female's container was kept over my emperor scorpion tank, which is heated. I could tell by feeling the jar that it was being kept warmer than my other spiders, but I have no idea as to what the temperature was in there. She molted some time in March, no idea of the date, as pieces of it were strewn about the burrow entrance. The male was received April 11, and laid down a sperm web in the next few days. Again, exact date unknown. Prior to pairing, the female was fed dubia roaches 2 days in a row to keep her full.

Pairing: 15 April 2012. The male and female's containers were placed in a 10 gallon tank and opened. The male's container was raised up slightly so the lips of the containers would be aligned.

Observations of the Mating: Between the hours of 7 and 8 PM, I placed both the male and female's containers in a 10 gallon tank. The containers were left open, with the male's raised slightly so the lips of the containers were close, allowing an easy journey for the male. After about 20 minutes of no activity, I dimmed the lights and dropped a piece of the female's web in the male's container. The male almost immediately began tapping and making very jerky movements toward the web. After investigating that, the male climbed out of his container and walked around the lip of the female's jar. He continued tapping. The female emerged from her burrow almost instantly upon sensing the vibrations from the male's tapping. The male continued his tapping and jerky movements as he approached. The female showed absolutely no signs of aggression towards the male. When they came into physical contact with each other, the male shoved his legs under hers and they began to do what appeared to be stroking legs(possibly the male was just having difficulty lifting her up too). He hoisted her up, exposing her ventral side, and was vigorously stroking her abdomen. It was difficult to see if any insertions were made, but I did catch one of his pedipalps pause near the female's epigastric furrow for a second or two. This process lasted for a few minutes. Exact time unknown. Soon after he hoisted her up even higher, almost flipping her on her back. The female seemed to lose interest and scurried back down her burrow. The male attempted to follow, but was soon finding himself backing out. He still pursued by tapping at her entrance, with no luck. Now, the female has another entrance to this burrow, which he sat on top of while tapping. With no response from the female, he began to clean his front legs and his pedipalps(cleaning of the pedipalps is considered to be a sign of a successful insertion). He would tap for a minute or so, then groom himself for about 5 minutes at a time. The female's legs emerged after almost 2 hours, but apparently wasn't interested in mating again. The male proceeded to wander out of the jar, and I returned him to his container(after a small chase).

Post Mating Care: Nothing special. On 16 April 2012, the female plugged up one of her burrow entrances with substrate. I attempted another pairing, and the male tapped, but the female was uninterested. On 17 April 2012, I noticed both entrances to her burrow were covered. One with substrate, the other with webbing. I attempted to feed her dubia roaches, but she was not interested. On 8 May 2012, I noticed both of her burrow entrances were sealed with substrate. I was able to see the chamber by looking under her jar, and noticed it had been webbed up(possible sac preparation/laying?).

Time to Sac: Unknown. As mentioned before, noticed her chamber was webbed up on May 8th.

Care of Sac: Left with female.

Time to Emerge: Unknown, but burrow was noticed to have been opened up and slings were seen in her burrow on 5 June 2012.

Final Details: No idea how many slings I have. They are all in the burrow and I cannot coaxe them out.

Hopefully I can get photos or video up at some point...

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]