It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Ideal Wavelength for scorpion hunting?
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:48 pm 
ATS Vice President

Christian Elowsky wrote:
They won't "enhance" the fluorescence from the scorpions, it will reduce "noise". Yellow glasses would work exactly like the UV or IR filter in your film or digital camera. They just remove unneeded light via specific wavelengths.

Huh, I wonder if I can find a pair that match my shirts?

You're right of course, but I'd consider it enhanced if it helped me see the scorpion better even if it's only because other light is supressed.

I'm wondering what it's going to look like on the night trips with this year's conference shirt and all those uv lights...

Wade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:48 pm 
ATS Vice President

This isn't the one I ended up getting, but it's pretty neat nonetheless, especially considering you can use it for insect collecting too!

http://www.bioquip.com/specials/product_special.asp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:13 am 
ATS Acting Webmaster

ive used quite a few different types and still love my CREE the most

Antioch, Ca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:16 pm 

My answer is 'it depends'. A light with as little visible spectrum as possible shows off scorpions beautifully. It is less effective at allowing you to see the rattlesnake at your feet or the cactus you're about to bump into. Me I prefer to miss a scorpion or two from a distance and see the trippy, pointy, bitey things. But it's up to you, your conditions and preferences.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:24 am 
ATS Vice President

Hi Darrin-

That's why I was interested in a light that can be switched between uv and regular light! Plus, sometimes I feel like looking for other stuff.

I got my light (the combo light from Streamlight) , but I won't be able to try it in the field until I get to the conference. Can't wait!

For anybody interested in the Bass Pro light Kari likes so much, it's on sale:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_206____SearchResults

Wade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:41 pm 
ATS Editor

The shorter wavelength bulbs are available at cheaper prices. Just thought I'd add this, now that I've had some practical experience. I bought two different lights for this year's trip and tested them in the field. My light was a multi-functional unit with both white and UV LEDs and was adequate. BUT.....The one I bought for my wife was UV only, 380-385nm and it worked much better at illuminating the scorpions without washing out the background with white light. It's only $17.85 on Amazon, and here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013E3XVU/ref=oss_product

I do advise anyone who buys a UV light in the lower 380-385nm range to also pack a supplemental white light for safety reasons. You absolutely NEED white light on night trips in the desert to help you spot and avoid "other" animals, like rattlesnakes.

Wade Harrell wrote:
That's kind of the heart of the matter...is it worth paying more for a light that has a shoter wavelength option? Sounds like a 'no' in most cases, at least if the difference is small.

Thanks!

Wade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:20 pm 
User

405 nm lasers work ok... but they make yellow scorps fluoresce a light blue color instead of the lower wavelength neon green. it works ok... i spotted a ~1.5" Anuroctonus from about 15' feet away... but it's much more difficult to see them than when they are neon green. black scorpions are still bright green, though.

if i could get a like, conversion lens to drop my wavelength beneath 400nm i think i would be in the perfect zone, though

actually, i don't know as they are fluorescing a different color or reflecting back part of the visible spectrum. don't really know how to test it easily, either

Post subject: Re: Go BIG
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:34 am 
User

Wade Harrell wrote:
A 4D metal flashlight would make a good weapon in case of coyote attack, so maybe I need to reconsider!

I got a gun with a led flashlight. I never know how can they combine a gun with a light ?
But it was so amazing to look :-D

Post subject: Re: Go BIG
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:23 am 
User

Wade Harrell wrote:
A 4D metal discount flashlight would make a good weapon in case of coyote attack, so maybe I need to reconsider!

I've a 3d led flashlight in my gun. I've got that as gift from my mom :-D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:16 am 
User

Wade Harrell wrote:
Any opinions on the ideal wavelength a UV light should have for scorpion hunting? Is the lower the nm better or worse?

Having broken several cheapies I've decided to invest in sturdier light, but I'm not going to break the bank either! I'm looking at a couple in the $30-$50 range. One has bulbs in the 295 nm range while the other has 275, with the lower number being the costlier. Is it worth paying more for a lowe nanometer light?

Wade

hello friend which lights are you using? I am looking to get UV light in similar price range so please help me..Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:09 pm 
User

TheodoreBowers wrote:
Wade Harrell wrote:
Any opinions on the ideal wavelength a led lighting should have for scorpion hunting? Is the lower the nm better or worse?

Having broken several cheapies I've decided to invest in sturdier light, but I'm not going to break the bank either! I'm looking at a couple in the $30-$50 range. One has bulbs in the 295 nm range while the other has 275, with the lower number being the costlier. Is it worth paying more for a lowe nanometer light?

Wade

hello friend which lights are you using? I am looking to get UV light in similar price range so please help me..Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:19 am 
ATS Vice President

This is the one I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-51010 ... m_sbs_hi_1

I'm pretty happy with it, it's rugged (been using it two years now, this is an old thread!) and I like having the ability to go between regular light and UV.

Scorpions glow nicely, but NOT as brightly as the cheapies that have 9 or more bulbs, so if scorp hunting is the primary use and the double-use is not important to you it's probably not worth the extra money. Also, not sure there is any advantage to having two different types of UV in there, I end up using all six most of the time. If I was going to buy this again I'd probably go for the cheaper version (about $12 less than this one) that has all six UV's in the same wavelength.

Hope that helps!

Wade

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2