It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: CITES suspends exports of wild caught Emperor Scorpions
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:17 am 
Board Associate

On May 3, 2013, CITES announced the imposition of several new trade suspensions for several species and countries. The one of interest to most arachnophiles is the inclusion of wild-caught Emperor Scorpions from Benin and Togo.

When CITES determines that a country is not making the required non-detriment findings for a species, they cannot establish that trade in the species is sustainable and not detrimental to the wild populations. Consequently, until these countries can supply the CITES Secretariat with the required findings, trade from those countries (in those particular species) is suspended.

We will be seeing fewer wild caught Emperor Scorpions in our future. ...at least until these countries and CITES work it out.

Here is the link to the offical announcements that USFWS made on their website, regarding this CITES Notification:
http://www.fws.gov/le/publicbulletin/05 ... nsions.pdf
http://www.fws.gov/le/publicbulletin/An ... nsions.pdf

Post subject: Re: CITES suspends exports of wild caught Emperor Scorpions
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:44 am 
Board Associate

Just a clarification because it seems there is some misinformation floating out of the commercial sector.
CITES did NOT ban the import of Emperor Scorpions. They banned the export of Wild-caught scorpions from two countries, Benin and Togo.

They did not even totally ban the export of scorpions from these countries, just the wild caught scorpions. Farm raised are still allowed to be traded internationally. Scorpions from any other country are still allowed.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:03 pm 
ATS Public Relations Officer

I would think that all export of Emperors from these two countries should be banned. How can anyone be assured that the ones being exported are in fact farm raised and not wild caught? Seems like both countries are already failing in providing the required paperwork to CITES. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence that the new rules will be followed.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:25 am 
Board Associate

It's a fine line Ollie. If they are truly farmed, I'd want to encourage it.

In the past, I've seen animals rejected that were declared as farm raised, because the Inspectors thought they were wild caught. Years ago, I remember when Brachypelma smithii was first listed under CITES. It was an easy call, any adult was practically guaranteed to be WC because there was almost no captive breeding going on. Nowadays, the Inspectors have to be more on their game to tell WC from CB or farm raised. I'm pretty convinced that there's still a discernible difference if you look hard enough.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:42 am 
User

I have not seen a CB which looks like a WC in this species yet. CB are never as dark or glossy... if farming them can duplicate the WC look it will be much tougher.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:51 am 
Board Associate

To get the exemption from CITES for farm or captive bred, the animal has to come from a CITES approved facility. You can check out the CITES.org web site and (somewhere on there) find the approved facilities in every country. In the US, as I recall, most of our approved facilities are for breeding falcons.
Because, captive breeding will allow some CITES I species (like Gyrfalcons), which would not normally be allowed into commerce, to be bought and sold as if they were CITES II species.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:08 pm 
ATS Public Relations Officer

I guess I misunderstood Bob or at least didn't realize that these would be CITES approved facilities. I was under the impression that we would be going on the word of the same departments that couldn't or didn't provide the original documentation.

Christian, if the WC and the CB Emperors are all from the same country, climate etc, I doubt if there would be much difference in coloration. Personally, I really haven't noticed any difference in coloration in CB North American specimens.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:47 pm 
User

My several generations were always more brown than black. I fed quite a few different species of feeders, but never did get the deep black associated with WC.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:04 am 
Board Associate

Ollie, I think you're right, I'm in error.
I normally deal with CITES I breeding facilities. I think these (CITES I facilities) are the only ones approved by CITES. I can't find any listing of any approved facilities in Benin or Togo, for any species.

Emperor Scorpions from Benin or Togo, declared as from farm-raised, or bred-in-captivity could be allowed entry into the US if it says that they are from either of those sources on the Declaration and the CITES certificate. However, I'm sure they'd get a much closer scrutiny and could still be rejected if the WI decided that the the source was "in error". Like Christian says, I'm of the opinion that captive raised look different from WC.

I'm skeptical about how much this will impact the US market. As I'm sure you're aware, many, if not most, of our shipments originate in Ghana.
This might be an interesting FOIA request if someone were really interested in more exact past numbers of imports and where they originated from.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:43 pm 
User

Yes. The answer is ALWAYS more legal intervention into our lived. Land of the free, home of the regulations.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:54 am 
User

Perhaps I've never seen a WC Emperor. My 4th generation babies are just as black and glossy as the preceding generations. They don't seem to have lost anything in the translation. :-)

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]