It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: How's my emperor enclosure?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:45 pm 
User

How's my setup? Anything I should add or do different? Floor space is 12"x30". The main reason I'm asking is I had a colony of 5 emps, 3 female and 2 male. Both males are now dead. I've read that the females will sometimes kill the males. So did I do something wrong?

Seriously misunderstood creatures, spiders are. It’s the eyes, I reckon. They unnerve some folk.

Post subject: Re: How's my emperor enclosure?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:14 am 
User

Maybe a deeper substrate that you keep more moist. Were they all hiding under the same area?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:54 am 
User

They had been using two different hides. Two were under the cork bark, and three were under the dark hide in the back corner. Now that only three females are left, they are all using the dark hide, so I assume it was the males that were using the cork.

Seriously misunderstood creatures, spiders are. It’s the eyes, I reckon. They unnerve some folk.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:26 pm 
ATS Public Relations Officer

I concur with Christian, KJ. Deeper, moister substrate and I use much more cork bark for them to hide under. Basically a jumble of pieces throughout the enclosure. I would have a minimum of 4 inches of substrate. Be careful though, they like to prop themselves up with their tails and scramble on the sides and they could get out if you're not careful and your enclosure doesn't seem that tall. Do you have a lid for it?

Were all the emps adults? If so, they may have needed more room.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:16 pm 
User

Ollie wrote:
I would have a minimum of 4 inches of substrate. Be careful though, they like to prop themselves up with their tails and scramble on the sides and they could get out if you're not careful and your enclosure doesn't seem that tall. Do you have a lid for it?

I've seen them prop them selves up on their tails trying to get up the corners before. I'm sure I could probably raise the substrate to 4 inches without them being able to reach the top. I do have a heavy metal screen lid, so they can't get out. You can see the top of the frame for it in the frist pic. I'll make the substrate more moist. I was trying to give them a gradient, dry one one side, and really moist on the other. It's also really humid here, and I've had problems in some of my cages with mold, if the entire substrate is kept moist.

Now I just need to see about finding another male. But they are harder to find now, obviously.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:42 pm 
User

OK, so I redid the tank. I gave it a full 5 inches of packed, moist substrate. I removed the skull decor, and added one more large piece of cork to add burrowing area.

Then I went to a mom and pop pet store, looking for a new male. They had 3 emperors. 1 Male and 2 gravid females!!!! Needless to say, I grabbed all 3. SCORE!!!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]