It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




 Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:53 pm 
User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:58 pm
Posts: 67
Pictures of my Blue Death Feigning Beetle (Asbolus verrucosus) larvae and eggs.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... e71f053680


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:13 pm 
ATS Vice President
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:32 pm
Posts: 6414
Location: New Mexico
I love those. The death feigning is really convincing.

Wade


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:08 pm 
User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:58 pm
Posts: 67
The new eggs have hatched. No signs of pupation yet.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:41 pm 
User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:58 pm
Posts: 67
Wade Harrell wrote:
I love those. The death feigning is really convincing.

Wade


Wade,

Yes, they are one of my favorite insects. Peter talked about how great they were but I did not really appreciate them until I put them on my office desk. Now I watch them a lot. Probably too much. :)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:26 am 
User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:35 am
Posts: 14204
Location: Nebraska
I'm not that familiar with these but they are quite pretty. Does the death feint involve being on their back?

The last pic of the solfugid prior to her dropping the eggs almost makes me feel sorry for her. The pressure has to be tremendous. I always thought it was next to impossible to keep these for long let alone breed them. Nice work MrCrackerpants.



_________________
Ask me how you can become a member of the ATS.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:49 am 
ATS Vice President
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:32 pm
Posts: 6414
Location: New Mexico
The death feining is actually quite convincing, legs curled in and everything!

Tenebrionid beetles in general make neat captives. Few are as colorful as these guys though. I wouldn't mind finding a few in AZ this year.

Wade


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:07 am 
User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:58 pm
Posts: 67
Wade Harrell wrote:
The death feining is actually quite convincing, legs curled in and everything!

Tenebrionid beetles in general make neat captives. Few are as colorful as these guys though. I wouldn't mind finding a few in AZ this year.

Wade


Any idea what specific Sonoran Desert habitat they live in?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:11 am 
User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:58 pm
Posts: 67
Patrick wrote:
The last pic of the solfugid prior to her dropping the eggs almost makes me feel sorry for her. The pressure has to be tremendous. I always thought it was next to impossible to keep these for long let alone breed them. Nice work MrCrackerpants.


Thanks. She and the eggs died but I have a juvenile in a was very small pill bottle about the same diameter as its body. It has been doing really well for a month now. This minimal enclosure was suggested. I think it is working. It has also been suggested to feed them very little and I have been doing this.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:10 am 
ATS Vice President
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:32 pm
Posts: 6414
Location: New Mexico
MrCrackerpants wrote:
Wade Harrell wrote:
The death feining is actually quite convincing, legs curled in and everything!

Tenebrionid beetles in general make neat captives. Few are as colorful as these guys though. I wouldn't mind finding a few in AZ this year.

Wade


Any idea what specific Sonoran Desert habitat they live in?


No, usuallly when I've seen them they were collected by other people.

Wade


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:27 am 
User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:35 am
Posts: 14204
Location: Nebraska
Sorry to hear you lost the big female and all of the eggs. I thought breeding tarantulas was iffy, wouldn't stand a chance with these I tell ya.

Thanks for answering my question. I wouldn't mind finding a few of these myself in AZ.



_________________
Ask me how you can become a member of the ATS.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:29 am 
User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:58 pm
Posts: 67
Wade Harrell wrote:
MrCrackerpants wrote:
Wade Harrell wrote:
The death feining is actually quite convincing, legs curled in and everything!

Tenebrionid beetles in general make neat captives. Few are as colorful as these guys though. I wouldn't mind finding a few in AZ this year.

Wade


Any idea what specific Sonoran Desert habitat they live in?


No, usuallly when I've seen them they were collected by other people.

Wade


Thanks.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:30 am 
User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:58 pm
Posts: 67
Patrick wrote:
Sorry to hear you lost the big female and all of the eggs. I thought breeding tarantulas was iffy, wouldn't stand a chance with these I tell ya.

Thanks for answering my question. I wouldn't mind finding a few of these myself in AZ.


No problem.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:42 pm 
User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:58 pm
Posts: 67
UPDATE: Still no adult beetles. Currently, I have 3 larva that are 1.5 inches. Any suggestions? : )


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:17 pm 
ATS Vice President
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:32 pm
Posts: 6414
Location: New Mexico
I may just take a long time, the adults are vey long-lived (10 years + in some cases) so it wouldn't surprise me if larval development were slow as well. Is the substrate something that's compactable? I know some tenibs build pupal chambers, not sure if that's the case here.

Also, there's a book on rearing darkiling beetles available here that might have helpful info: http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/elytraandantenna/

Wade


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:39 am 
User
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:11 pm
Posts: 115
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
MrCrackerpants wrote:
UPDATE: Still no adult beetles. Currently, I have 3 larva that are 1.5 inches. Any suggestions? : )


Hey Mr,

I wish I did. Nearly all the information out there, aside from Orin's book, is on Tenebrio molitor which doesn't have a comparable life span(from what I know, anyway). I'll echo Wade on the lifespan/development question. I still have numbers of larvae multiplying in the communal Teneb tank, but of course no idea which species the larvae may be...I need a better camera to get the details and have yet to ID each species that lives inside. Quite a few are at that same size and late at night I find many of them feeding on the remains of food left for adults. In fact, I think they eat much more than the adults. No pupation here, either. Good luck!

John


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:24 am 
User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:58 pm
Posts: 67
Thanks Wade and John. Yes, the sub was compactable. I recently dug very deep (8 inches) into the substrate and found many dead larvae. Also found that the adults had eaten a few that had died and dried out.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:18 pm 
ATS Vice President
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:32 pm
Posts: 6414
Location: New Mexico
I've had similar experiences with Eleodes. I usually manage to raise some of them, but nowhere near the number that occur. Now that I live in the range of E. obscurus I'm hoping to raise the larvae as feeders for other stuff!

Some species might pupate inside of dead wood, or there could be a seasonal change that you would have simulate to get them to pupate. I would check out that book if you haven't already. Since I don't own it myself (I need to get it though) I don't know if the exact info you need concrning this species is in there, but I'm certain that it will have lots of great info on raising tenibs in general and that can't hurt!

Wade


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:40 am 
User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:58 pm
Posts: 67
Thanks, Wade. I set up a few more environments with varying humidity, substrate, etc. Interestingly, the only larvae that has survived is in a bran, oat, dog food dry substrate with an organic apple wedge. So far, so good. The larva is 1.5 inches.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Death Feigning Beetle Larvae and Eggs
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:23 am 
User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:58 pm
Posts: 67
They all died. I am giving up on getting this species to reproduce in captivity. I can't figure them out. If you get them to reproduce please let us know what you did. Thank.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

cron