It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Praying Mantis!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:16 pm 
User

I just wanted to share something rather exciting with you all, this past weekend we've discovered multiple praying mantis nymphs in our computer room! They were mysterious bugs until my brother finally looked at one long enough before killing it to determine it was a praying mantis. I excitedly captured him and then two more within minutes! There are a bunch! I'm assuming someone left her eggs nearby although I'm unsure where. We are thinking the culprit may be our Christmas tree? There are currently a lot of boxes in that room too because we are in a moving process, but I can't imagine she'd be interested in those? Who knows. Anyways, totally happy to have found such an awesome species, I plan on making some enclosures and keeping a few. The others I think would be best to just let free outside.

Post subject: Re: Praying Mantis!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:07 pm 
ATS Vice President

Christmas tree is my bet, probably there was an ootheca on it which hatched while it was in your house.

Mantis nymphs are fairly delicate, they can be tricky to raise. They need good ventilation (at least one side of the cage should be fully screened) and you will need a steady suppliy of small, active prey. Fruit flies work best these early stages.

Wade

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]