It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pill bug population control.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:58 am 
User

So I thought a while back I would introduce some pill bugs to my millipede's tank. I dug some up from a log outside and put them in. Well, about 10 months later they're literally covering every surface, and worse, eating all the food I put in for the millipede! Short of changing all the substrate, is there anything I can do to turn the pill bug breeding ground into a millipede tank?

Post subject: Re: Pill bug population control.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:57 am 
ATS Vice President

Although adding isopods to predatory arthropod tanks helps with the clean-up, it's not a great idea for millipedes because millipedes and isopods both need similar conditions and eat similar foods. Drying the cage would get rid of the isopods, but it might also get rid of the millipedes!

In other words, there's not much you can do other than change the substrate unless you feel like removing the millipedes and cooking the substrate to kill off the isopods. This may be a bigger pain than changing the substrate.

If you want to breed the millipedes, you'll need to do something. Adults can usually get enough food even with isopods there, but babies tend to get out-competed.

Wade

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:58 am 
User

Isopods are primarily harmless in small numbers but in mass they'll become very hungry and take out some of the millipedes when they molt. You have to start the cage over without them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:43 pm 
User

I seem to have the same issue, but I guess mine came in on some leaves that I thought were "clean"
typically I leave them in the freezer for a few weeks to months before I introduce them to the tank. Not sure what type of isopods they are but they are fast little flat gray ones. Same advice ? start over? ( bummer :( )

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:26 pm 
ATS Vice President

Probably, unless the numbers are small enough that you can just cull them out gradually or just skim off the top layer of substrate where most of them are probably hanging out. If it's a massive population explosion starting over may be the only option.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:10 am 
User

AHH! that sounds like a good plan! I shall do that and see how it goes. thanks!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]