It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: millipede hasn't molted
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:45 am 
User

I have a millipede that I have been watching for over a week now, maybe longer- that has not molted. The exoskeleton is all gray and wrinkly looking, and it really looks ready to molt. I don't usually see them looking like this. Also, it doesn't seem to burrow,I can usually find it under the leaves. My substrate is fairly moist, although it had recently dried out a bit. Should I be worried? is there anything I can do?

Post subject: Re: millipede hasn't molted
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:32 pm 
User

Here is a photo I took this morning

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:30 am 
ATS Vice President

It certainly looks ready to molt, but it's unusual for it to molt on the surface like that. Not sure what you can do, they are extremely delicate when they molt. It does look a bit too dry, you could mositen the soil and then place something over the millipede itself without actually touching it to trap the humidity, like an upside down deli cup.

Good luck!

Wade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:22 pm 
User

hmm, I may move it ( I can scoop under it and grab substrate and all) to another tank with some moister substrate, and bump the humidity up. The picture does look a little dry but there are moister spots in the enclosure, its a 40breeder. She is moving around and stuff, there is even a male that is interested in her (so moving her is a must until she molts I suppose although she has been doing okay- just ugly.) I'm perplexed. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for answering my post,Wade. You are the only one that ever does. Also would like to mention- got more babies!! saw one the other day :) that makes the 3rd generation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:20 pm 
ATS Vice President

That fact that it's moving around is unusual for a millipede that's about to molt. I'm wondering if maybe it actually already molted but failed to completely remove the old exoskeleton. Normally, it splits down the back, but it didn't this time so it never came off, maybe because the spot it chose for molting was too dry?

That's just a guess, but if it's moving around it should be safe to move it to a different cage without injuring it. If it really is a retained molt, the condition may not change unless the millipede molts again.

Congrats on the babies...CB millipedes are always good news!

Wade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:38 pm 
User

hmm, that's an interesting thought. I will pick her up today and see what gives. She is tooling around and eating and stuff. I still think it wasn't too dry, but I have upped the moisture content of the tanks. Don't want there to be a problem. Yes, I have seen a millipede right after a molt. it was curled up under a rock, and the exoskeleton had sort of peeled away like flower petals. It was cool.

Post subject: Re: millipede hasn't molted update
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:39 pm 
User

still all wrinkly, and doing fine.... when she molts I won't know which one she is!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]