It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Baby millipede!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:38 am 
User

Hello all!

Wanted to share the news! I found a baby millipede in with my adults tonight while digging around and I know what you are thinking! I WANNA SEE!

I know you do! I KNOW!

So here you go! The only one I saw..... I mentioned in another post tonight that I wasnt sure why they seem more inactive then usual but this might explain it.

Regarding this, and possibly other babies, should I seperate them from the adults to keep better tabs on them? I could put them in a small deli cup or other similiar container to keep better tabs on them. I assume there diet is identical to adult care? Is it at all possible to tell which one produced or is producing them? Does anyone know what the eggs look like?

If anyone needs to know species, which seems required for some of the answers, viewtopic.php?f=23&t=28781

Any feedback regarding this is most appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Baby millipede!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:16 am 
ATS Vice President

Congrats, you almost certainly have more in there! Keep them all together. The babies need to feed on the frass of the aduts to gain the bennificial bacteria that allows them to digest wood. If it really looks like it's getting too croded, move them (an all the substrate/frass) into a bigger container.

You can tell males from females by looking at them from the side. Males will look like they have no legs at the 5th or 7th segement (they actually do have legs there, but they are modified to fuction as sex organs and are tucked under.

I would assume all the females are laying eggs. The eggs will be packed in the substrate and would be difficult to find without damaging them.

Other than checking moisture levels and adding food (aka edible substrate), millipedes do best when left alone. One of the things I like about 'em :D

Wade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:07 pm 
User

Ok thanks Wade. I wont disturb them then.

I thought I read something about some millipede species laying the eggs within waste deposits or something that looked very similiar to them. Does this sound right?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:30 pm 
ATS Vice President

Many, but not all, millipedes do form a pellet of waste around the eggs. I think Narceus may be one of the ones that do this.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]