It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dry food to supplement milli diet?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:33 pm 
User

I was wondering if roach chow would be suitable/beneficial to supplement the diet of some millipedes. Specifically A. gigas and N. gordanus. I've read that giving them fish food or cat food is good so they get some additional protein in their diet. My substrate has plenty of Oak wood and leaves. And I give them veggies all the time. I just thought since I had roach chow on hand, it'd be easy to give them some.

My chow consists of: Dog food, cat food, fish flakes, oatmeal, and cereal (honey O's and honey oat clusters). All blended up into a fine powder.

Would this be good for them? I've also read that they should get some calcium powder. If the roach chow is good, I cvan just add it into that.

Seriously misunderstood creatures, spiders are. It’s the eyes, I reckon. They unnerve some folk.

Post subject: Re: Dry food to supplement milli diet?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:25 am 
ATS Vice President

A light sprinkling of your food plus calcium should be good. I usually use fish food flakes or commercial cricket food, but your mix sounds great (I've gotten too lazy to make my own!). Just a light dusting on the surface once every couple weeks should do it. Powdered food tends to mold in moist millipede cages if used too much.

I think the calcium helps with rearing babies especially.

Wade

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]